Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Fat Buddy Shuffle

Today's workout was what will be referred to as the Fat Buddy Shuffle from here on out. I warmed up with a brisk 10 minute walk moving into a slow run for five minutes moving into a five minute walk moving (What's that? Oh OK, you understand). I kept the Fat Buddy Shuffle up for 60 minutes. No, you read that right. SIXTY minutes.

I have really grown tired of the pain impeding my progress. I have no real formula or scientific way for figuring out how long I should walk/run. So I figured if I had to mix in the walking with the running, then I should go for as long as I possibly could.

After the second time I ran for five minutes (25 minutes in) I wanted to quit so bad. All I could think of was this verse from Isaiah 40:31 But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. I know there is no way I can reach my goals. I need the support of the people around me and the help from my deliverer; Jesus.

I know that come December I will be down to at least my target weight. I can do it. Not because of me, but because of what Philippians 4:13 says. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

I have struggled this week. I have fought the desire to get that frosted honey bun out of the teacher's lounge vending machine. The Coke machine has been whispering to me during the school day. "Just one drink Shep, just one drink and it will be OK." The half dozen gas stations I pass on the way home. Do you know what a pocket of change can do to a Little Debbie display rack????? I am fighting an uphill battle everyday.

An uphill battle, with God's help, I am going to win. Satan is not going to hold me back. I am done standing in the way of my own success. Life is so much more than the next good meal. I have some little girls that need to have me around so I can walk them down the aisle at their weddings and cry like a big Ole' dummy. I have a son who needs his Dad around to teach him how to shave. My wife needs me around to reach things that are too high for her to reach. She may not ever be able to use the hair dryer again if I die.

My knees, chins, calves, ankles, and feet are going to hurt until I get a lot of this fat off of my frame. Can't get the fat off if I am just sitting around waiting for the pain to go away. I will have to take the pain in little doses to make it to my goal. But that is OK with me. The pain will not last forever. And as fat as I am now, neither will I.

Loving my life on this path to the new me.

SHEP

2 comments:

  1. Good post Shep. Let me give you some words of encouragement that have helped me through the years:


    Romans 5:3-5
    More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heres another verse that helps me when im hurting on the treadmill....

    Gilleysians 3:16
    Two tears in a bucket, Fu....well, you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Followers